grandpa update

30 Jun

My grandpa still isn’t better.  He’s up and down.  The doctors said that with the type of infection he has he will probably get worse before he gets better.  I’m planning on going down there after work on thursday, so then I can spend all day friday with him.

They (the doctors and nurses) have made several mistakes while he’s been there.  One of which was yesterday.  He had what they are calling a “heart rythm event”, not a heart attack (even though that’s what they thought it was at first) but an “event”, whatever that means.  When it first happened, and they thought it was a heart attack, they gave him morphine, even though he’s allergic.  He’s not the “reaction” kind of allergic, he just gets really bad hallucinations.  But even so, they gave it to him without looking at his chart.  Wouldn’t you think the nurses would know what their patients are allergic to?  Morphine is a uncommon thing to be allergic to, but if I was a nurse I would always make a point to remember that with every patient.  He’s in the ICU, and his nurse is only taking care of two patients (him and one other), so it’s not like she had 20 patients to take care of and just forgot or got confused.  I would think she should be able to remember the allergies of two patients.
So because of the halucinations they needed to keep him sedated.  Which I’m sure my grandpa won’t be happy about when he wakes up.

The doctors are having a hard time with my grandma.  When my grandpa goes home (thinking positive here) his lungs will be really raw, so they told my grandma that she needs to quit smoking.  Not just for a little while, but quit smoking forever.  She’s been told this before, and she always refuses.  She says that they “help her with her nerves” and that’s the reason she won’t quit.  Not that she’s addicted and doesn’t want to.  No, that couldn’t be the reason.
She will make little changes, like the last time the doctors told her to quit she just started smoking outside.  But then winter came, and it was to cold, so then she started smoking in the bathroom.  Well that doesn’t help grandpa much.  The smoke will still be in the air and on her clothes, and he’ll get a big dose of it when he goes into the bathroom.  It’s the only bathroom in the house, so it’s not like he could just use another one.  It’s even possible that the reason he got pneumonia is because his lungs were compromised by the smoking in the first place.
Another change she made was to add these little plastic filters on the ends of the cigarettes that are supposed to make them “healthier” by removing some toxin or something.  But they don’t change the output, just what she herself inhales.  The second hand smoke is still the same.  But she thinks that because she uses those, that it makes smoking totally safe.
The doctors (and my uncle) have even gone so far as to say that they won’t let him go home unless she quits.  They are being really serious about it.  But even with that she had the nerve (and with the doctor standing right there mind you) to announce that she was going to go outside for a smoke.  She’s been feeling weak lately (I’m not sure if it’s because she’s stressed, or because she wants attention), so she’s been using a wheel chair when she’s in the hospital.  She asked who was going to wheel her out, because she “needed” a smoke.  They all refused, so she got up from the wheel chair and walked out all by herself.  Which leads me to believe that using the wheel chair is just to get attention and make everyone else feel sorry for her.  That’s just the type of thing my grandma would do.

Sorry for the ramblings.  I think I’m feeling really frustrated because I’m two hours away and there’s not much I can do.  I mean there’s not much anyone can do, but at least the other family can feel like they are doing something because they are there.
I was a little pissed at my mom yesterday.  She’s the only link I have to know what’s going on.  So she calls me yesterday morning and says that he’s had a heart attack (which is what they thought it was at the time).  She gave the impression that this was it, he was dying.  And then she didn’t call me back for 2 1/2 hours!  I was a nervous wreck!  I was thinking that the reason she hadn’t called me back was because he died and she wanted to get herself together before calling me.  I was so relieved when she finally did call and told me that it wasn’t that bad, that I didn’t yell at her.

That’s all for now.  I think I’ve said enough.
I thought about editing this to take out the angry/frustrated parts, but it’s how I’m feeling, so I’ll leave it the way it is.

Leave a comment

Posted by on June 30, 2008 in Family



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: