Preperation: On sunday I made a double batch of both the Baking Soda and the Catnip, so I just used the second half of that. The only exception is that I add a little bit of water to the Catnip. I used 300ml vs. the old 250ml.
Routine: Poured the rest of the Baking Soda (half of the 13 fl oz container) over my head and massaged it around to make sure I got it everywhere. Then I rinsed it out and squeezed all the water I could out of it. Then I poured the catnip over my hair (which was very cold because it needs to be stored in the fridge, in the future I think I’ll warm it up first!). I tried to keep as much on my hair as possible, but most of it ran off. Then I cliped my hair up and left it for a few minutes (maybe 5?) and then rinsed it out.
Once my hair was mostly dry I put on a small amount of Coconut Oil (just enough where my hands felt coated).
Results: Pretty nice hair! It’s not slippery like it would be with conditioner, but that’s to be expected. But it is soft, smooth and tangle free. And it isn’t greasy looking (or feeling) like it was when I used 250ml of catnip. My ends are a little dry, but I still have some split ends on them, so that’s understandable. And I haven’t seen any new splits (if anything they’ve gotten better) so that’s a good thing.
Comments: I really think the trick to the catnip working was using that little bit more of water. In the future I either need to continue using 300ml or use less catnip. Which being that I was using exatly 1 teaspoon, it would give a more consistant result by just useing more water.
I also need to do a micro trim to get off all these split ends. Another idea is to do what is known as a Search & Destroy (S&D). Basically you go through your hair and snip off all of the split ends individually rather then by doing one overall cut. It it time consuming, but it means that you only cut the hairs that need it. And because not all splits are the same length you now make sure that you get the whole thing. Because if you just snip part of it off it will just keep splitting.
I think for right now I’ll just do a trim, and if that doesn’t work I’ll try the S&D then.